Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Bessette to start from second row in Toronto

By Michel Poirier-Defoy, Bessette Racing, (514) 942 – 8463

Toronto, Canada, July 9. – Antoine Bessette, the only Canadian to enter all rounds in the Atlantic championship in 2005, will start from second row tomorrow when the green is waved for the seventh round of the season, a 35-lap affair between the concrete walls of Exhibition Place in downtown Toronto. The St-Bruno, Quebec 23-year old driver clinched third best time on the starting grid with his best time (second overall with 1:07:607 min.) in the Friday qualifying session. He came up short this morning in the second qualifying session (1:07:882) while trying to earn his second pole position of the season. Antoine was also quickest in both practice sessions of the weekend.

“I was never able to get a clear track with my new tires, claimed AB. We put them on for the second part of the session after the red flag, but I wasted five good laps with slow cars in front of me. I finally got in a fair lap but was not able to better my Friday time. The track was pretty slippery this morning: I thought the Champ Car would allow us more grip but that was not the case. Some corners are still difficult to deal with because the concrete patches were shaved to eliminate bumps.

However, I’m very confident for tomorrow. I will determine the final setup with my engineer Bruce Potter and will see how the #3 Unik Auto Design behaves in the morning warm-up session. The race will be long and passing the backmarkers could be a factor. But first, we all have to make it pass the tricky first corner. Again, I feel confident because I’ll be on the inside lane.”

The 35-lap race is set for 10:00 ET tomorrow in Toronto, a 1,755, 11-turn temporary street facility.

You may visit Antoine Bessette's web site at www.bessetteracing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment