Monday, June 27, 2005

TOYOTA ATLANTICS: Bessette nets another podium with 2nd place


Courtesy Michel Poirier-Defoy, Bessette Racing Team: (514)942–8463

Cleveland, June 26. – Antoine Bessette is more than ever in the title chase for the 2005 Toyota Formula Atlantic championship after a well deserved second place, his second podium so far this season; Bessette still holds third place in the standings. Starting from 3rd place at the wheel of the #3 UNIK Auto Design car, AB quickly moved up to second place before assuming the lead by lap 5 of 32. He stayed ahead until lap 14 when he had to give way to eventual winner (Charles) Zwolsman when he started experiencing brake problems. From then on, the Quebec-born driver nursed his car to second place for the remaining 18 laps. The day before, he had to retire from the first race after brushing the wall in turn 8 trying to setup a pass for second place at the end of the start-finish stretch.

“I really thought I could stay ahead when I passed Tonis (Kasemets) for the lead, said AB. But when Charles started dicing for the lead, my brake pedal got very hard while not stopping the car. I let him by because I had a good lead on Andreas (Wirth) and Katherine (Legge). As for yesterday, I really thought I was going to make it around the corner and setup a pass for second, but I just ran out of real estate.”

Satisfied with race setup:
In the practice qualifying sessions, Antoine worked with team owner engineer Bruce Potter to find the proper race setup. “We have done a lot of good work in the last two weeks and I’m sure it will pay off in the coming races. I’m the only guy who has always qualified his car in the Top 5 since Long Beach. I would have liked to turn this into more points but I got my share of contacts with other cars up to now. I long for Toronto in two weeks because I’m one of the few guys who raced on this temporary track before.”

Holding to third in the standings:
Bessette retains third place with 137 points behind Kasemets (162) and Zwolsman (169). Polestar Racing Group will cross the border to Toronto, Ontario for the Molson Indy in two weeks, the first of three events in Canada.

The next round of the 32nd season of the Toyota Formula Atlantic will take place on July 8 to 10 at Exhibition Place in downtown Toronto, a temporary 1,755-mile 11-turn temporary street course. Antoine Bessette will drive the Polestar Racing Group #3 UNIK Auto Design car.

You may visit Antoine Bessette's web site at www.bessetteracing.com and the Toyota Atlantic series at www.toyotaatlantic.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment