Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Wickens wins in Denver: Cameron Motorsports’ Robert Wickens collects second FBMW win of the year

By Russ Bond Agency (www.russbondagency.com)

DENVER, COLORADO Cameron Motorsports’ Robert Wickens won his second Formula BMW race of the year on Saturday in Denver Colorado. “It was a hard fought race, and I’m glad to get the win,” Wickens said after the win.

Wickens, who qualified third for the Saturday race and the pole for Sunday’s race, made a good start on Saturday, and tried to pass for second in the early laps. “I had a bit of contact that bent my left front suspension. I had my steering wheel on a 15-degree angle while going in a straight line, so I knew I had a problem,” Wickens said of the early laps.

If that wasn’t enough, another competitor drove over Wickens left rear suspension a little later, making his car even worse. “I just saw him fly over the back of my car, so now I had both the left front, and the left rear damaged.”

Even with the damaged car, Wickens was able to knock the gap down to the leader, when there was a full course yellow that put him at the back of the leader’s car for the restart. “I got him on the restart,” Wickens said, “Then I just put my head down and drove as fast as I could.” That speed was good enough for Wickens to collect his second win of the year.

If Saturday wasn’t enough of an adventure, Wickens lined up on the pole for Sunday’s race, hoping for a little easier time. “I came to a stop, and put the clutch in,” Wickens said. “And the car leaped forward about three inches. I was still in my start box, but because the car moved once I came to a stop, I was given a stop and go penalty.”

Wickens stopped to serve the penalty on lap two and came out 9 seconds behind 19th place. With a good car and some spirited driving Wickens was able to salvage a fifth place in the final tally. “That was a lot of work,” Wickens said. “Team Apex Racing USA gave me a great car, and I needed it to fight my way back. I really want to finish this year strong, and try to bring a championship to Cameron Motorsports, MMG Financial and all those who have helped us this year.”

With the win and the fifth, Wickens is now in third place in the championship, just 11 points out of the lead, and he currently sits second in the Rookie of the Year chase, just three points behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment