Tuesday, October 16, 2007

DTM Finale in Hockenheim: Spenger points runner-up

DTM, 14th October 2007: 10th round in Hockenheim
 
Canadian Bruno Spengler Runner-up in the 2007 DTM; Jamie Green Won the Exciting Finale

§       Jamie Green (2007 Salzgitter AMG Mercedes C-Class) won the exciting finale of the 2007 DTM in Hockenheim and achieved his second consecutive victory in the championship after his first win in Barcelona three weeks ago. It was the seventh win for the C-Class in the tenth race of the year and the 141st win for Mercedes-Benz in the brand's 300th DTM/ITC race since 1988. After 37 laps, Jamie came home 3.6sec ahead of Timo Scheider (Audi).
§       Bruno Spengler (2007 DaimlerChrysler Bank AMG Mercedes C-Class) came home fourth and ended the season runner-up like last year. The Canadian missed the championship by three points; the new Champion Mattias Ekström has now 50 points, Bruno is second with 47.
§       Bernd Schneider (2007 Genuine Parts AMG Mercedes C-Class) came home fifth, Alexandros Margaritis (2006 stern AMG Mercedes C-Class) was seventh ahead of Paul di Resta (2005 JAWA4U.de AMG Mercedes C-Class).
§       The results of the other C-Class drivers: Daniel la Rosa (2006 TrekStor AMG Mercedes C-Class) tenth ahead of Mathias Lauda (2006 Trilux AMG Mercedes C-Class); Susie Stoddart (2005 TV Spielfilm AMG Mercedes C-Class) 14th; Mika Häkkinen (2007 AMG Mercedes C-Class) 17th. Gary Paffett (2006 Laureus AMG Mercedes C-Class) retired with a damaged undertray following a spin.
§       A crowd of 152,000 attended the 2007 DTM season finale, more than ever before at a DTM event.

The start: Jamie Green started fourth on the grid whilst Bruno Spengler had qualified sixth. At the start, Green dropped to fifth; however, he improved to third place at the hairpin. Here Gary Paffett spun and retired due to a damaged undertray. The Safety Car was deployed for one lap.
Lap 3: Jamie Green overtook Tom Kristensen at the hairpin and improved to second behind Mattias Ekström. Bruno Spengler was fifth ahead of Bernd Schneider and Alexandros Margaritis.
Lap 6: Bruno Spengler and Mika Häkkinen came in for their respective first pit stops.
Lap 9: Jamie Green passed Mattias Ekström at the hairpin and took the lead. Bernd Schneider was fourth ahead of Paul di Resta.
Lap 15: Following his early pit stop, Bruno Spengler charged through the field. He passed Tom Kristensen on lap 12 and Markus Winkelhock on lap 15.
Lap 17: First pit stop of Bernd Schneider.
Lap 21: The two leaders, Jamie Green and Mattias Ekström pitted. Green maintained first place ahead of Timo Scheider, Mattias Ekström, Bernd Schneider and Bruno Spengler. Ekström and Spengler were within four seconds.
Lap 24: Bernd Schneider came in for his second stop and Bruno Spengler was fourth.
Lap 28: Jamie Green, Alexandros Margaritis and Bruno Spengler made their respective second pit stops. Green resumed in first position, Schneider was now sixth behind Ekström, Spengler followed in seventh place, 2.9sec behind the Swede.
Lap 32: Bruno Spengler overtook Bernd Schneider and was fourth close behind Mattias Ekström with a gap of 1.5sec.
Finish (lap 37): Jamie Green crossed the finish line first, Bruno Spengler came home fourth 0.4sec behind Mattias Ekström. Bernd Schneider ended up fifth.
 
Jamie Green, 2007 Salzgitter AMG Mercedes C-Class, winner: "I enjoy today's win even more than the first one in Barcelona. It is something really special to win in front such a great crowd with so many of my Mercedes-Benz colleagues. I am very proud. The car was perfect and I didn't make any mistakes ­ this was the key for my success today."

Bruno Spengler, 2007 DaimlerChrysler Bank AMG Mercedes C-Class, fourth: "It is not too bad, to finish runner-up twice in two years; however, I am of course disappointed that I was not able to clinch the title. Our team did a great job and the car ran very well, either with used or with new tyres. Today a better result should have been possible, and then there would have been a better chance in the championship. Congratulations to Mattias Ekström on the title win."

Bernd Schneider, 2007 Genuine Parts AMG Mercedes C-Class, fifth: "The race was OK, although there have been some actions by Mike Rockenfeller and Tom Kristensen which I did not agree with. Third place would have been possible today. But now I want to congratulate Mattias Ekström on the championship."

Alexandros Margaritis, 2006 stern AMG Mercedes C-Class, seventh: "A perfect race. I started very well and improved to seventh. After my early pit stop I was able to finish the race almost without traffic."

Paul di Resta, 2005 JAWA4U.de AMG Mercedes C-Class, eighth: "After my 16th place in qualifying I am quite happy finishing eighth. It's nice to end the season in the points."

Daniel la Rosa, 2006 TrekStor AMG Mercedes C-Class, 10th: "A better result was possible today. On the first lap I spun after somebody had pushed me. Due to my late first pit stop my tyres faded and I was not able to improve."

Mathias Lauda, 2006 Trilux AMG Mercedes C-Class, 11th: "I gave it my all and made my way up from 16th on the grid to 11th at the chequered flag. I might have scored points today, but my tyres were worn in the end and I could not do better."

Susie Stoddart, 2005 TV Spielfilm AMG Mercedes C-Class, 14th: "My team did a great job and my car ran very well. Unfortunately, I was not able to make the best out of it ­ I am disappointed."

Mika Häkkinen, 2007 AMG Mercedes C-Class, 17th: "A difficult race. I gave it my all, but because of my 20th grid position due to my unjustified penalty I had no hopes for a good result. It was just not possible."

Gary Paffett, 2006 Laureus AMG Mercedes C-Class, retired following a spin when he damaged his undertray: "At the hairpin exit I drove over the kerbs and when I came back on the track I slid into a hole next to the tarmac and spun. This damaged my undertray severly and I had to retire."
 
Norbert Haug, Vice President Mercedes-Benz Motorsport: "Congratulations to Mattias Ekström, Abt-Audi and Audi Sport on their title win ­ a great race won by Jamie Green and the Mercedes-Benz C-Class as well as a turbulent season are behind us. Including Jamie's victory today we won seven out of the year's ten races, in the end Bruno missed the championship win by three points. We showed a strong performance today and I want to thank all team members for how we presented ourselves in the 300th DTM and ITC race of the brand Mercedes-Benz in which we achieved our 141st victory. We provided the spectators at the venue and in front of the TV with exciting sport in front of a record crowd in picture book weather. Thank you to the HWA team headed by Gerhard Ungar and Hans-Jürgen Mattheis as well as to the teams of Ingmar Persson and Peter Mücke. Now we have a deserved break, but will not rest for long …"

No comments:

Post a Comment