Thursday, November 30, 2006

Dirt From The Stands, by Greg Cybulski

A Prairie Dirt Family Christmas (2006)

Well race fans, here we are are once again, relaxing in the warmth of a quiet evening's glow with the anticipation of another Christmas season upon us. I sit before this keyboard with my favorite glass of yuletide cheer and Christmas carols playing in the background. As I look back to the year that was, I realize that one common theme keeps rising and that is family.

There are different families in our lives. My immediate family consists of spouse Heather, son Aaron and daughter Brandi, mom Joyce, dad Edward and brother Gord. There are others in my life as well, however, the newest is my racing family. If I made a list of everyone who has touched my life in racing in the past 5 years, I think I would have to fit them all in the grandstands of Knoxville Raceway.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has been a part of and supported Prairie Dirt over the past five years. It has been an incredible ride for my family and I as we have had the pleasure of meeting many wonderful people in the racing community.

Some we have personally met and have grown strong friendships with, some we have corresponded with while others, sadly, we have lost far too soon.

Some of my personal highlights of the 2006 racing season included taking a ride in a stock car at Richard Petty's Driving Experience at Walt Disney World, Florida in March. Even doing 3 laps gives one an appreciation of the speed and power these cars possess on a race track.

Regretfully, my next experience was preparing a tribute for fallen friend, Fred Brownfield which was read at Estevan Motor Speedway on July 1 by track announcer Pat Boyle prior to the NOSA Sprint feature. Pat delivered the tribute page with a reverence and feeling that the fans in attendance could appreciate. As I stood in turn 4, listening and reflecting, I looked up at the clear Saskatchewan sky, and somehow I knew that Fred was there with us and giving his approval.Once again, the good folks at Estevan Motor Speedway showed why EMS is one of my favorite stops to see dirt track racing with their awesome hospitality and family-oriented atmosphere.

Congratulations to Guy Budel and the crew at Red River Co-op Speedway for putting on a first class race night for the fans at the 2nd annual NAPA Auto Parts Mid-Canada Sprint Car Challenge here in Winnipeg. They were really looking after the fans who had to park out on Highway 75 with a shuttle service to and from the speedway. Now that's service! Thanks again to the good folks at NAPA Auto Parts for their continued support of this special race event.

Race fans, mark your calendars! The 3rd annual NAPA Auto Parts Mid-Canada Sprint Car Challenge is set for Thursday, July 12 and promises to be bigger and better than ever. Sprint Car fans can look forward to the debut of the father and son team of Lou Kennedy Jr and son Thomas. Thomas will make his Sprint Car debut in Winnipeg and run a limited schedule before taking over the famous 21k Sprinter full time in 2008. Also confirmed is Fargo, North Dakota's first lady, Natalie Sather, who with legendary veteran crew chief Kenny Woodruff should provide for more excitement at Winnipeg's premier race event.

Congratulations to the new kids on the block in 360 sprint car racing on a successful inaugural season. The ASCS Northern Plains Region headed by Chuck Zitterich made some waves in 2006 with shows in the southern part of the Upper Midwest. Brainerd, MN appears to be a good stop for the N.P. as they have 4 races slated for 2007, including the much publicized ASCS National Tour.

The Northern Outlaw Sprint Association membership celebrated a series of firsts in 2006. Scott Butz captured the NOSA points title for the first time in 2006 with strong consistent performances. Dave Sobczak, Casey Mack, John Lambertz picked up their first NOSA-sanctioned feature wins on the NOSA Sprint Tour. Lambertz's win came at a new stop for NOSA at Dakota State Fair Speedway in Huron, SD.

What a year for Mark Dobmeier. His stock as a driver just keeps going up. Not only did he dominate at his home track of River Cities Speedway in Grand Forks, ND, but he consistently showed strong performances all season long at other tracks including Huset's Speedway and Knoxville Raceway. He capped off the season with his first World of Outlaws feature win, subbing for the first time in Brooke Tatnell's seat at Wilmot Speedway, WI. This was Mark's first time to Wilmot. This reporter can't wait to see what he does for an encore in 2007.

Congratulations to Schatz Motorsports on not only winning the World of Outlaws points title in 2006, but for winning the highest honor in 410 Sprint Car racing, the Knoxville Nationals.
Looks like Ken Pelkie and Ohsweken Speedway have a winning formula going in Ontario with another successful 360 Sprint venture following the 2nd Annual Canadian Sprint Car Nationals in mid-September. It's good to see Sprint Car racing growing north of the border as it is.
Another highlight of 2006 was being interviewed by Darren Pallen for the sprint car special edition of Prairie Dirt Digest podcast.

In that interview I had stated the priorities in my life, that being family and the family business and the importance of them to me. Right now, it is my intention to devote more time to the family business.

Having said that, I am announcing that I will not be actively involved in the promotion of sprint car racing for the 2007 racing season. Does this mean the end of what I have started? Hardly. I will continue to keep my finger on the pulse of the racing scene and return with a refreshed outlook following my leave of absence.

I will continue to run Prairie Dirt (2005) in it's current form, showcasing open wheel racing in Canada ,in our region, and in Australia during our off-season, however, I will not pursue any other additional duties at this time.

There is a place in Manitoba where a majesty of diverse wild ground, all creatures great and small and a man's soul come together as one. This is my refuge from the daily battle in the concrete jungle called the city. If I am nowhere to be found, that is where I will be. My little peace on earth, God's Country.

On behalf of the Cybulski family, I would like to wish you all a Merry Christmas and many Blessings in the New Year.

God willing, I will see all my racing friends at a dirt track again in 2007.

Take care and good racing,Greg Cybulski

No comments:

Post a Comment