Monday, October 30, 2006

Richard Day writes about his late friend, WOO founder Ted Johnson


Richard Day, who was the longtime PR man for the World of Outlaws, wrote this piece on his late friend Ted Johnson, who founded the popular tour.

"In early January of 1987, I was a young sportswriter searching for a new career path when I saw “World of Outlaws” in the Sports Promotions section of the Dallas Yellow Pages. Not knowing if it was a group of gangsters or a Wild West show, I called the business and Ted Johnson belted out “World o’ Outlaws” as he answered the phone. His explanation of what his company was all about was so intriguing, I immediately said I was interested in working for him even though I had very little experience writing about auto racing. It just so happened that Johnson’s previous publicist, Gary Guehler, left the company a couple of months earlier to pursue other interests."

... continued at the link above.

No comments:

Post a Comment