Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Ohsweken Speedway's "Top 10"...with Abel Castelein

Ohsweken Speedway's "Top 10"...with Abel Castelein

By Tommy Goudge (January 13, 2009) - The long off-season for local racing is now upon us in Southern Ontario, but Ohsweken Speedway will do its best to keep you entertained while the snow flies outside. A new feature which will appear regularly on www.OhswekenSpeedway.com this winter is Ohsweken Speedway's "Top 10", in which we sit down with a familiar personality from the Speedway to find out what makes them tick.

Currently on the top of the heap when it comes to Mini-Stock racing in the area, Abel Castelein repeated as champion of the ESSO Mini-Stock division at Ohsweken this season, as well as repeating as Mini-Stock champ at the Merrittville Speedway. This week the driver of the blue #28 Mustang stops by for a session in the hot seat to talk about how he got his start in racing, his views on the future of the Mini-Stock division, and much more!

"Top 10"...with Abel Castelein:

TG: "How and where did you first get started in racing, and what was your
first race car?"

AC: "At the risk of revealing just how old I am I can say my earliest recollection of auto racing would be in the sixties when my parents used to take the family to Pinecrest Speedway. We lived in Brampton and would make the trip about once a month during the season. When I was about 12, my sister took me to Toronto International Dragway near Georgetown to see a 16 car Funny Car show. I can also recall catching bits of NASCAR Cup racing on Wide World of Sports before they got their own TV deal. These things gave me the itch to race, or at least be involved in some way. My dream growing up was not to be a driver. I wanted to be that guy on pit road that changes

tires during the race."
"My first race car was a 1969 Chev Impala that I drag raced at Dragway Park. It was my daily driver and, even though it had 140,000 MILES on the engine, it would still run mid 16's. I drag raced for 13 seasons at Dragway Park and Lancaster Speedway, eventually winning a championship with Ted Caton at Cayuga in 1990."

TG: "If money were no object and you could compete anywhere, against any
racer, in any racing machine, what would you choose?"

AC: "I would love to compete against the stars of NASCAR, but not on some cookie cutter 1.5 mile speedway. I have always dreamed of driving a Dirt Late Model and, if I could, I would choose to run The Prelude to the Dream at Eldora against Stewart, Gordon, Kenseth, Kahne, etc."

TG: "What are your goals for your racing career?"

AC: "I really have no plans beyond 2009 as of yet. As my eyesight and reflexes gradually diminish, I can't see myself doing this forever. I can't justify the expense of changing to Thunder Stock since I have so much invested in my Mini-Stock program. If a sponsor came along that made it worthwhile, or perhaps someone has a car they want me to drive, I may be convinced to move up. Barring that, I will likely do all I can to further improve the Mini-Stock division."

TG: "Which driver or former driver do you/did you most enjoy competing against and why?"

AC: "I had a great time this past season racing against Mitchell Brown. He is a very talented young driver and had good equipment all year. He really put up a great challenge and ran hard every week. As well, I had fun running against Trevor Goulding and Garnet Wilson at Merrittville this year. I have also had the privilege of finishing second to both my sons while they won their first feature races."

"The driver I most enjoy competing against though, would likely be Rick Robinson. Over the years I have had the chance to run against Rick at Ohsweken and also on the pavement at Flamboro. He runs hard and clean all the time and he is so smart and smooth that there are no mistakes to take advantage of."

TG: "What direction do you see the Mini-Stock division going over the next few
years?"

AC: "Mini-Stock is at a sort of crossroads at the moment, I believe. Rear wheel drive cars like the Mustangs are getting scarce. The latest model of Mustang that can compete is now 15 years old. The newer cars are now front wheel drive and most are coming out with 4 valves per cylinder and dual overhead cams. Right now these engines are banned by the rules in this area, but I don't think we can keep them out forever."

"Every division of cars ever started in racing has progressed from a grassroots division like Mini-Stock once was. I guess the present rules package will evolve and things will creep in to allow more modifications. I think Ohsweken is very lucky to have Glen Hils running tech and writing the

rules. He is thinking outside the box and into the future with the Fun Stock/Bomber division. This will likely be the next form of entry level racing. The class also allows those newer model cars that don't fit the Mini-Stock rules package."

"There will likely be a Mini-Stock class for a long time. In fact rather than the Bombers replacing the Mini's, as some believe will happen, I think we may see the Mini's replacing the Thunder Stocks. The only thing harder to find than a 4 cylinder rear wheel drive car is a V8 rear wheel drive stock bodied street car."

TG: "What is something most fans wouldn't know about you?"

AC: "I spent 10 full seasons living my dream as a crewmember/crew chief in CASCAR. I worked on the cars all week and went over the wall to change tires on race day. I didn't care that the car was hardly ever on the lead lap. I was happy to be on pit road in front of a big crowd on a sunny Sunday afternoon."

TG: "Away from the track, which activities and hobbies occupy your time?"

AC: "I enjoy curling in the winter. I mean with ice and rocks and brooms, not hair. My son Matthew, and then A.J., got involved in curling years ago. I watched lots of games they were in and started helping coach at school. The past few winters I have curled at the Cayuga Curling Club."

"I also like to attend karaoke with my girlfriend Marilyn, and have been known to get onstage myself most nights. Marilyn reminds me often, however, that I am the racer and she is the singer."

TG: "What is the strangest and/or funniest thing that you have seen or has happened to you at the track?"

AC: "A few years ago, 2005 I think, I was racing the old 23 car at Humberstone to finish my points season out. My original 28 car had suffered terminal damage in the Art Hill race in August so we were down to one car to finish the season. I went into turn 3 at Humberstone and climbed the door of another car, and ended up on my roof. They rolled the car back on its wheels, I strapped back in to the car and finished the race in 5th place."

TG: "What piece of advice would you give to someone looking to get involved in racing that you would like to have been given when you started?"

AC: "Two of the biggest mistakes I made and I still see with people that decide to get started would be trying to build their own car and spending all their money on the car."

"Building a car from scratch is expensive when you have nothing to start with. So many odds and ends that nickel and dime you to death. Better to buy a used race car that you know works so that you can concentrate on driving. Most used race cars come with lots of spare parts too."

"The other mistake I see is people not leaving room in the budget for a truck, trailer, and driver's safety gear. Those might be the first things you need to make sure you have."

TG: "What are your plans for 2009?"

AC: "I plan to compete weekly at Ohsweken. The goal is to be the first person to win 3 Ohsweken Speedway Championships in a row. I am in great company now with myself, Kelly Hallett and Jim Swing being the only three drivers to win two consecutive crowns."

"I also plan to run the Triple Crown series at Merrittville and Humberstone if they have them this year. I will run selected races at Merrittville as well, but not a full season unless I can find a sponsor to help pay for the fuel to travel there each week."

Got a question you’ve always wanted to ask your favourite Ohsweken Speedway personality? Send it to Media@OhswekenSpeedway.com and we’ll do our best to get it answered. Make sure to include your name and hometown! Stay tuned for future editions of "Top 10" this winter on www.OhswekenSpeedway.com, and make sure to reserve your seats for all of Ohsweken's special events in 2009, including the World of Outlaws Late Models, World of Outlaws Sprint Cars, and Canadian Sprint Car Nationals! Tickets are on sale now!

No comments:

Post a Comment